LOCAL 693
Dow Building evacuated, closed temporarily at University of Michigan after electrical incident Monday
Updated On: Jun 13, 2009

Dow Building evacuated, closed temporarily at University of Michigan after electrical incident Monday

by Art Aisner | The Ann Arbor News
Tuesday February 10, 2009, 10:08 AM

An electrician was injured after he stuck a screwdriver into an electrical box at the Herbert H. Dow Building on the University of Michigan's North Campus Monday morning, police said.
 

The 67-year-old contractor, from Milan, tried to open the box in the penthouse machine room with the screwdriver when he touched the wires about 11:20 a.m., U-M police Lt. Robert Neumann said.

The box caught fire and activated the fire alarm. The fire stopped once firefighters cut power to the building, which was evacuated.

The building remained closed for the day because the fire affected the ventilation system, Neumann said. It was expected to reopen this morning.

The man suffered minor injuries and did not need medical treatment.


-
Contact Info
Ann Arbor Firefighters Local 693

Ann Arbor, MI 48104
 

Top of Page image
Powered By UnionActive - Copyright © 2022. All Rights Reserved.