Site Map Icon
RSS Feed icon
October 22, 2017
IAFF HEADLINES
New Hampshire Members Awarded Liberty Mutual’s Firemark Award
Connecticut Members Reach Out to Young Cancer Patients
Philly Fire Fighter Dies in Line of Duty
New York City and 8 Labor Unions Reach Tentative Contract
Fire Fighters Question Governor’s Failed Leadership During Ferguson Unrest
December 3 Marks 15th Anniversary of the Worcester 6
Memphis Fire Fighters Donate $12,000 to Local Cancer Charity

More Headlines
Fire at Ann Arbor apartment building caused by unattended cigarette, officials say
Updated On: Jun 13, 2009

Fire at Ann Arbor apartment building caused by unattended cigarette, officials say

Posted by The Ann Arbor News September 03, 2008 06:16AM

Categories: Breaking News
Firefighters work to control a fire at a building on Waymarket Drive in Ann Arbor Tuesday.

RELATED: Fire damages Ann Arbor apartment building

Ann Arbor fire officials say they've determined the cause of a blaze that damaged an apartment building Tuesday was a cigarette left unattended on a deck.

The fire department said this morning that damages were estimated at $250,000. The blaze displaced four families in the building at 573 Waymarket Drive in Briar Cove Apartments on the city's south side, officials said.

No residents were injured, but two firefighters were treated by paramedics, officials said. One sustained a leg injury and the other had heat exhaustion.

Battalion Chief Robert Vogel said the fire was reported at around 3 p.m. as a cigarette ashtray that had caught fire. The fire spread from the deck to the building. Six units sustained smoke or water damage, Vogel said.

A total of 40 firefighters from Ann Arbor, Ypsilanti and Pittsfield Township were at the scene.


Ann Arbor Firefighters Local 693
Copyright © 2017, All Rights Reserved.
Powered By UnionActive™

181676 hits since Aug 07, 2004
Visit Unions-America.com!

Top of Page image