LOCAL 693
Firefighters say clothing draped over lamp likely sparked apartment fire
Updated On: Jun 13, 2009

Update: Firefighters say clothing draped over lamp likely sparked apartment fire

by Art Aisner | The Ann Arbor News
Friday March 13, 2009, 8:13 AM

Officials with the Ann Arbor Fire Department said clothing draped over a lamp likely sparked a fire that forced residents from their multi-unit apartment house near downtown this morning.

Firefighters were called to 521 N. Division St. just before 8 a.m. by residents who were awakened by smoke detectors, Battalion Chief Robert Vogel said.

Smoke and small flames were seen coming from the second floor on arrival, and firefighters helped two men inside to safety, Vogel said.
They were being evaluated by paramedics this morning but did not report any immediate injuries. Four other people also fled the building because of the fire.

Vogel said firefighters contained the blaze to the bedroom and determined it started at or near a lamp that had a pair of pants draped over it.

Damage estimates were not immediately available.

Division Street was closed between Kingsley and Detroit streets for about an hour.


-
Contact Info
Ann Arbor Firefighters Local 693

Ann Arbor, MI 48104
 

Top of Page image
Powered By UnionActive - Copyright © 2022. All Rights Reserved.