Site Map Icon
RSS Feed icon
October 18, 2017
IAFF HEADLINES
New Hampshire Members Awarded Liberty Mutual’s Firemark Award
Connecticut Members Reach Out to Young Cancer Patients
Philly Fire Fighter Dies in Line of Duty
New York City and 8 Labor Unions Reach Tentative Contract
Fire Fighters Question Governor’s Failed Leadership During Ferguson Unrest
December 3 Marks 15th Anniversary of the Worcester 6
Memphis Fire Fighters Donate $12,000 to Local Cancer Charity

More Headlines
Fire in residence hall room displaces 8 University of Michigan students
Updated On: Jun 15, 2010

Fire in residence hall room displaces 8 University of Michigan students

Eight University of Michigan students were displaced for at least the night after a fire that started in a microwave in the Baits housing complex spread to a resident's room, university officials said.

No one was injured in the 3 p.m. fire in the Cross House of Baits on North Campus.

Diane Brown, a spokeswoman for the University of Michigan Department of Public Safety, said a resident was reheating food in a microwave, and it appears aluminum foil caught fire.

He attempted to take the food out, but burning pieces of the foil fell on clothing and ignited it, Brown said. The resident evacuated and called for help.

When Ann Arbor firefighters arrived at the three-story building off Hubbard Street, they saw heavy smoke coming from the room, Battalion Chief Chuck Hubbard said.

All the residents in the building were evacuated, but many weren't home since it was a Sunday afternoon, Brown said.

The building doesn't have a fire suppression system, but doors kept the fire from spreading to adjoining rooms, Brown said. The hallway had smoke damage, and adjacent rooms also may have some smoke damage, Hubbard said.

University housing is assisting the eight students who will be unable to return tonight, Brown said. It's unclear how long they will be displaced, but officials expect to know more in the morning.

A damage estimate is not yet available, but Hubbard said the room where the fire originated was severely damaged.


Ann Arbor Firefighters Local 693
Copyright © 2017, All Rights Reserved.
Powered By UnionActive™

181561 hits since Aug 07, 2004
Visit Unions-America.com!

Top of Page image