Site Map Icon
RSS Feed icon
October 18, 2017
IAFF HEADLINES
New Hampshire Members Awarded Liberty Mutual’s Firemark Award
Connecticut Members Reach Out to Young Cancer Patients
Philly Fire Fighter Dies in Line of Duty
New York City and 8 Labor Unions Reach Tentative Contract
Fire Fighters Question Governor’s Failed Leadership During Ferguson Unrest
December 3 Marks 15th Anniversary of the Worcester 6
Memphis Fire Fighters Donate $12,000 to Local Cancer Charity

More Headlines
Construction worker treated for smoke inhalation at electrical fire in South Quad
Posted On: Jun 02, 2014

Construction worker treated for smoke inhalation at electrical fire in South Quad

John Counts | johncounts@mlive.com By John Counts | johncounts@mlive.com The Ann Arbor News
on May 30, 2014 at 11:08 AM, updated May 30, 2014 at 2:19 PM
One man required medical treatment after an electrical fire in a high-voltage room at the South Quadrangle dormitory on the University of Michigan's campus in Ann Arbor Friday morning.

Fire officials said the man, a contractor working in the area, was treated and released at the scene for smoke inhalation by Huron Valley Ambulance.

Crews were called to South Quad, located at 600 E. Madison, around 9 a.m. for black smoke coming from the building, Ann Arbor fire Battalion Chief Steve Lowe said.

The fire was contained to the high-voltage room.

"It was burning pretty good," Lowe said.

Electricians were called to the scene to cut the power to the room and firefighters went in to quickly extinguish the blaze.

Lowe said it was unknown where exactly the contractor who required medical treatment was when the fire broke out. The entire area around Packard, Division and Madison is affected by construction as renovation work appears to continue at South Quad and contractors work on building the new 600-bed graduate student housing dormitory at the former Blimpy Burger site.

Sidewalks were shutdown due to the construction and dozens of workers in the area watched fire crews put out the blaze.

Lowe said the fire destroyed a lot of complex electrical machinery in the high-voltage room and early damage estimates are around $250,000.

U-M fire officials continue to investigate.

John Counts covers crime and breaking news for The Ann Arbor News. He can be reached at johncounts@mlive.com or you can follow him on Twitter. Find all Washtenaw County crime stories here.


Ann Arbor Firefighters Local 693
Copyright © 2017, All Rights Reserved.
Powered By UnionActive™

181561 hits since Aug 07, 2004
Visit Unions-America.com!

Top of Page image