LOCAL 693
Fire damages restaurant in Ypsilanti
Updated On: Jul 12, 2008

Fire damages restaurant in Ypsilanti

It took firefighters 30 minutes to control Hawkins Place blaze
Monday, May 19, 2008
BY SUSAN L. OPPAT
The Ann Arbor News

Hawkins Place, a barbecue restaurant, was heavily damaged in a fire that started in an outdoor cooking area Sunday afternoon, Ypsilanti firefighters said.

Capt. Dan Cain said firefighters were called at 3:30 p.m. to the restaurant at 97 Spring St., on the south side of the city, and arrived to find flames extending through the roof of the building.

He said the fire apparently got into the concrete-block building through the soffits.

 Advertisement


 

The department issued a full callback, and got mutual aid from the Ypsilanti Township and Ann Arbor fire departments, but it still took 30 minutes to get the fire under control, Cain said.

Cain estimated damage at about $100,000, and said it would have been worse had the building not been constructed of block.

No one was injured.

Susan Oppat can be reached at soppat@annarbornews.com or at 734-482-1166


-
Contact Info
Ann Arbor Firefighters Local 693

Ann Arbor, MI 48104
 

Top of Page image
Powered By UnionActive - Copyright © 2022. All Rights Reserved.