Authorities expect to reopen a portion of Huron Street and the southside sidewalk near Main Street in downtown Ann Arbor within the hour, officials said.
Members of the Ann Arbor Fire Department's HAZMAT team determined a chemical spilled there was freon. It was in a parking lot between the Performance Network and National City Bank shortly after noon, Assistant Ann Arbor Fire Chief Ed Dziubinski said.
The spill occurred when an employee from the Performance Network disassembled an old refrigerator used as a stage prop and severed a hose containing the freon, Dziubinski said.
The employee and two other people in the parking lot complained of a foul order and burning sensation after inhaling the fumes.
Two were treated by Huron Valley Ambulance paramedics at the scene and were released, Dziubinski said. The other did not require treatment.
Ann Arbor police closed one lane of eastbound Huron between Main Street and Fourth Avenue, as well as the sidewalk.
The bank and theater were not evacuated. Crews were waiting for the chemical levels to dissipate before clearing the scene.